BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 17

Day 15

Today was another where I did NOT stop going. It is literally midnight, and I am just sitting down for the first time at the flat. I definitely had a great time today, though.
I just got back from seeing WICKED - my first official theater-going experience in London!! Obviously it was outstanding - put this show on your list of things to see if you haven't already (even if you're not a big Broadway fan, this show would appeal to anyone who appreciates real, inspirational talent). I thought it was quite a nice coincidence that WICKED also happened to be the first Broadway show I saw in New York when I was 15. I suppose (for me anyway) the proper way to begin the initial theater experience in a big city is with WICKED - something that is completely fine with me.

Also, today was a school day. So, after the first part of my class, my professor told everyone to visit the Somerset House on the Thames River to view an art exhibition on recycled white objects. We are always able to travel to and from places on our own, so Allie and I went together. Once we found the place (which wasn't as easy as it sounded), we learned we had to pay to get in. Now, please understand that under any normal circumstances I try to be a very conscientious student. That being said, my professor never mentioned this place would cost money, and we had just spent money taking the tube all the way to the river anyway (mostly, these museum viewings are for inspiration for our final projects; therefore, my teacher really doesn't care if we see everything as long as we have enough exposure to get ideas). Long story short - we decided it wasn't worth the extra money.

We figured we should eat somewhere in that area, though, since we had spent money taking the tube to get there. Guess what was within walking distance? We went strait to Covent Garden. We did a little shopping around and then had lunch at a little outside restaurant.



I had tomato soup that was REALLY good, and my first cup of afternoon tea! I know it's silly to get excited over, but it felt so good to order tea in the afternoon. I mean, you're not really fully initiated into the British lifestyle until you've had afternoon tea, right? :]

Later, I went to my second class and Robin Dutt brought us over to a street full of art galleries in the west end. The idea was to go in a bunch of them and pick something to write a review about. I looked around for a while with my friend Stacie from Pennsylvania, and we ran into Sir Robin again outside on the sidewalk at one point. We got to talking about several different topics with him, and I found out that if he could shop at one store for the rest of his life (and had the funds) it would be John Paul Gautier - good choice. There was also one point when he mentioned he liked my spoon ring. I could have died. I don't know why I care so much about his opinion, but I can't help it. He's somewhat peculiar on the surface, but after meeting him you sense it's all just to mask his true genius. He's a brilliant writer, and knows his stuff when it comes to fashion. Now, I'm not just another faceless student in one of his classes, but "the girl with the spoon ring," and at this point, I'll take what I can get.

Today was also Allie's birthday, and her mom came in. Lauren and I got her a cake, and they all went to dinner tonight while I went to the show. Meeting Allie's mom definitely made me miss home and my family more than ever. I'm still having the time of my life here, but it's hard not to go through stages of home-sickness every few days. I'll be fine - just a little bit stressed out with school at the moment.

Tomorrow will no doubt be another day to catch up on work. Lauren and I have planned a day trip to Bath on Saturday since Allie and her mom will be in Amsterdam for the weekend. They have Jane Austen walking tours so it should be incredible.