I can’t really believe I’ve been here two weeks. Time flies here. There is always so much to do and see, it seems like I never stop going. Today was very exciting because Lauren and I planned an impromptu trip to the National Gallery.
This place is magnificently beautiful (something I still appreciate even though it seems like every place I visit lately is that way), and is filled with masterpieces of artwork. I never thought I would ever get to see a Monet or Van Gogh painting up close, yet there I was right in front of them. I LOVE Monet. I would hang those paintings up all over my house in an instant if I could. Seeing a painting in person is so different than seeing it on TV or in print. It’s the subtle details of a painting that make you realize the genius of it. I’m pretty sure my mouth was hanging open more than once while I was observing all the brilliance and historical value of it all. Once again, pictures weren’t allowed, but I did take one of the first painting I saw when we came in, just before a security guard came over and asked me to turn my camera off (I promise I had no idea I couldn’t take pictures).
After we went there, we walked over to the Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms to see if we could find anything about my pawpaw from WWII (he was aided by the Yugoslavian underground during the war, but that’s a story for another day). Turns out that museum is one of the only ones in the city that’s not free, so we decided not to go in today. I definitely want to go back, but probably alone. I hate to make a friend pay 12 pounds to go look in a museum to try to find something about my grandfather.
Next, we decided to walk through St. James’ Park because…well…if you saw this park, you would know why.
There was such perfect weather today, I mean GORGEOUS. We wanted to make the most of it, so we stopped at a cafe in the park and had coffee.
This particular area of the city is especially beautiful anyway, so sitting there having coffee made me ask myself again, How did I get here? Is this really happening? I keep thinking this all might be a really amazing, really long dream. And while I’m on the subject of how much I enjoyed today, I would like to say for the record that the area we went to today is my absolute favorite part of the city - Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and St. James’ Park. There’s no doubt in my mind. All the times we have gone there, I feel like I am truly in a magical place, like I am truly in London.
I couldn’t have dreamed up a better day. :]
Later that afternoon, I had to get groceries but decided to go for a jog in Regent’s Park (the one close to my flat) before going to Sainsbury’s. Because it was such a nice day, a lot of people were out on the grass playing football (soccer) or baseball, and some were just out to walk their dogs. It was great to just get out of the room, away from homework and just enjoy London today – no scheduling involved.
I’m very excited for tomorrow as well. One word – WICKED! I cannot wait to see Broadway in London! I know it’s going to be fantastic – how could it not be?!
