This is a blog entry for June 22. It was posted after midnight and that is why the date is incorrect.
It turned out to be quite an eventful day, as far as school days go. I overslept, naturally. That has to be one of the worst feelings in the world – waking up from a peaceful sleep and suddenly realizing you have to be somewhere across town in 45 minutes.
I actually got to school on time, though, after throwing myself together in a record 15 minutes (I still don’t really know how I managed to do that). I basically jogged all the way to the bus stop and barely made it on one just as it was about to leave. While I’m on the topic, it’s worth mentioning that I had a crazy bus driver to add even more madness to my morning. He got irritated when a bus in front of us stalled for a while with its flashers on. My bus driver kept trying to change lanes so that he could get around the other bus, and no one would let him in. He got so mad at one point, he reached out of his window and hit the roof of a passing car repeatedly while yelling something in another language (I’m guessing it was slightly offensive). Like I said…eventful.
After my first class, Allie and I shopped around for a while for items we could use for our projects (I swear), and then went to eat at a restaurant called Coco Momos, where I finished telling her all the details of my hectic morning. As we made our way down the road after lunch, she told me (and I agreed) that I tend to attract somewhat abnormal situations and experiences here in London. Right after agreeing on this with a laugh, a large group of dancers walked passed us (I should say danced passed us) going down Oxford Street, singing in full costume, and asking us to join them. I didn’t need any more proof than that.
My second class of the day was, as I have come to expect, interesting to say the least. Robin Dutt showed up in the doorway (late) in all his glory wearing a bright purple velvet coat, complemented with his signature lapel and broach. Brown Trousers and shoes completed his ensemble. Because it was strangely hot outside here today, someone asked him, "Are you hot?" He just smirked at her and said, "mmm hmm." Everyone laughed at that.
I took a video of him today when we took our field trip to Carnaby Street and Kingsly Square – two VERY cool shopping districts in London. These are places I would have never been able to find on my own, even with a map.
After that, we went by an open photography exhibition at Mark Powell Bespoke Tailoring. Mark Powell is a friend of my professor, and happened to be there when we arrived. This guy dresses all kinds of high-price clients and celebrities. To say going in his store was amazing, wouldn’t be the correct word – wouldn’t even come close to the correct word. The open photo gallery in the basement, had professional photographs of Pierce Brosnan, Iman, Twiggy, Madonna, Kate Moss and many others that have never been published or printed to the masses. I also found out that Robin Dutt happens to be very close to Madonna and they usually work out at the same gym together whenever she’s in town (he tells us this in passing as if it’s no big deal!!). There are no limits to Robin Dutt’s awesomeness, apparently.
After that incredible experience, I took the tube back to my flat where I sat for 3 hours finishing my midterm, and I’m happy to say it’s finally complete. Now I just hope that it will be received well by my fashion magazine writer/friend of Madonna/non-refrigerator owning/slightly off his rocker professor.
Tomorrow Lauren and I are going to try to get into Wimbledon! I didn’t think I would have an opportunity to go because I was under the impression it was only happening Tuesday, but it turns out it’s all week, so we are going to see if we can get a spot. You can’t buy tickets in advance for Wimbledon, so basically you just have to show up, wait in line and hope for the best. We’ll see, I guess.
Here is a short video I took today when we went to Carnaby Street. Robin Dutt is wearing the long purple coat (as if he would be difficult to identify).
