BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 24

Day 22

Nothing all too interesting to report today in terms of pictures and fun stories, but I did have a successful day at school. Today was midterm day (crazy since it’s only the 6th class day), so I met with my Trends professor, Virginia Grose, so she could look over my research and talk with me about it one-on-one. It went very well! She really likes my ideas about a travel-inspired, 50s-vintage jewelry line. She thinks my ideas would work very well for the retailer I chose (Anthropologie) and would successfully appeal to their target market. I was glad she had good feedback because I really enjoy my potential line as well, I mean, I would wear it in a heartbeat! It’s hard to know whether or not someone else will envision your ideas the way you do, though. I think she did and I am SO glad! She also loved that I picked jewelry as well because it is not chosen often. Honestly, what outfit is complete without jewelry?! I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t pick jewelry – it’s the best part! I guess it’s a tough job creating pretty things, but someone has to do it.

After that, Allie and I had lunch at a restaurant near campus called Zoom. I had a hamburger, which was really good, but the service wasn’t all that great. I was almost late for my second class because the waitress was so slow getting our bills figured out. I’m still not quite sure what the problem was, but she could barely understand us, and didn’t like the fact that Allie didn’t have exact change…for whatever reason.

My second class was good as well. Robin Dutt actually beat me there today, which I couldn’t believe. He had on his version of a casual, every-day look which was a black three-piece suit with his signature lapel and broach. The first thing he made us do was write 100 words on the spot about our favorite color. Not just what it is and why, but an in-depth description of the color so everyone could imagine the same shade when reading what we wrote. We all went around and read them out, and he liked mine. He said something about it drawing the reader in. That made since. I think I’ve become so used to writing feature stories at school that I tend to start everything I write as if I’m building to something. I can’t remember exactly what I wrote because he made us turn it in with our midterm portfolios, but I talked about granny-smith apples and sea green, relating it to tropical destinations and relaxation.

He also liked my midterm topic – the evolution of the handbag from small to HUGE, and the health concerns for women who carry too much weight in their purses every day. Then he showed us a silent movie made about five years ago that he had a small part in. I was a short film, but it did go to film festivals in the UK and the US and won several awards. We have to write a review on it. It was called Against Nature, and was directed by Antony Zaki. Robin Dutt did the costuming for the whole film, as well as being an actor.

Click here to see some more about it!

Tomorrow should be interesting, I hope. I'm heading over to the Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms in the morning and later that night going to see Blood Brothers at the Phoenix Theater. Can't wait!